5 Tips For A Healthy Cookout
Memorial Day is when we thank those who fought for our freedom and bless those that still do. We also like to celebrate and enjoy the weekend with family and friends, which means food and lots of it. For anyone trying to stay healthy cookouts can be a difficult temptation to get through. Here are a few simple tips to making any cookout a healthy cookout.
- Plan for it – If you are the host then you can make sure there are healthy options. If you’re not the host then bring your own healthy dish. Healthy food doesn’t have to be boring. Here are a few recipes everyone will love.
- Stick with water – Skip the soda and drink water. If your water’s feeling a little dull, drop in fresh fruit like lemon, lime or berries. For a cooling and unique drink, add mint and sliced cucumber.
- Hold the mayo – We know that cookouts are usually filled with macaroni or potato salad. Mayo is full of fat with no health benefits. Instead, lean toward salads that use lighter, oil-based dressings. Not only are they lower in fat and calories, they also contain healthy, plant-based fats that can boost your good cholesterol. If you this is something that will be hard to ignore then bring your own homemade salad like this Apple Chicken Salad with Garbanzo Beans and Quinoa.
- Grill EVERYTHING – You can grill veggies, turkey burgers, chicken, and just about anything. Grilling doesn’t always mean healthy but you can grill with less fat being added then frying or sautéing. When given an option, the grill wins.
- Protein packs a punch – Getting a good portion protein and fiber will fill you up better so that desert table isn’t calling your name. Bean salad, baked beans or bean salsa are all great ways to add more protein and fiber to your plate.
- Fruit for dessert – Fresh fruit is a perfect way to get your sweet on without all the guilt. You can also grill fruit (grill everything), which caramelizes the sugars in the fruit and makes it taste even sweeter.
A summer cookout doesn’t have to derail your healthy eating or be boring. Here are some great cookout recipes for a delicious but healthy cookout.