Ingredients For soup:
- As needed cooking spray
- 14 oz sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups quick marinara sauce (low sodium & sugar preferred)
- 2 bay leaves
- to taste fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 oz broken lasagna noodles, whole wheat or gluten free
Ingredients For topping:
- 6 tbsp part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (fresh preferred)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade
Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, spray with oil and add the sausage; cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks with a wooden spoon about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the parsley, broth, water, marinara sauce, bay leaves and fresh black pepper and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan, and 2 tbsp parsley and mix.
Add the broken pasta and cook uncovered according to package directions. Divide between 6 bowls and top each with 2 tbsp ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella, fresh cracked pepper and fresh basil on top. Makes about 8 cups.