Rutabaga has a luscious buttery quality when cooked, so naturally, this root veggie shines in mash form. This recipe incorporates potatoes as a way to provide the starch that rutabaga lacks, making for an ultrasilky, comfortingly hearty spin on classic Irish champ.
- 2 pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups water
- 3 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
How to Make It :
Place rutabaga, potato, 6 cups water, 1 tablespoon salt, and bay leaves in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until very tender. Drain; discard bay leaves.
Return mixture to pan. Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, butter, and pepper. Mash well with a potato masher; stir in onions.
Latest posts by Coach (see all)
- Your Dog’s Safety in the Heat - August 12, 2022
- Ramped Up Your Workout - August 5, 2022
- Pass the Cheese - July 29, 2022